Sunday 16 May 2010

continuing work on the big jugs.

Have just decorated the jugs I made earlier. They have been coated with coloured "slips" made from clays felspars and other things!  After leaving to stand for a few minutes I swept over the surface with a "slip comb"  This I made from a rubber kidney with nice rounded teeth cut into one edge.  It takes quite a bit of practice to do well.  It has to be done quickly and in leisurely and barely conscious manner - a bit like the way you spread butter on your bread whilst listening to the Archers! My first attempts were not good - too nervous and hesitant.  I hope the firing in the Soda kiln next week will do them some favours. More about the kiln later.  And I will show the jugs as they emerged from the kiln.

4 comments:

  1. I am looking forwards to hearing about your kiln and firing. And the result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the firing yesterday (saturday) all that heat - Phew!! I fired with wood up to 1000 deg, then finished with gas (up to 1300)) Easier that way to manage the soda spray - nearly 2 gallons of solution to spray in - then my sprayer broke halfway through - what a nightmare!. Had to cobble together a repair with bits of plumbing. Stress!! Kiln held up for an hour. But I think its OK (?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to see some images of the result.

    ReplyDelete